Even the most professional salespeople who know how to make cold calling successfully can be defeated by an unexpected objection. As overcoming sales objection is an essential part of the sales process, learning how to turn “no” into “yes” will open a completely new set of opportunities.
Main B2B cold calling tips for overcoming objections
The preparation of B2B cold calling script presupposes that you single out the objections that may be raised and look for the best responses to them. Having an outline of anticipated problems and a thoughtful analysis of the risks, you can easily handle these objections resulting in increased sales. While handling objections, always keep in mind the following tips:
- Never interrupt a prospective client; give them an opportunity to express their thoughts and ideas.
- Ask them if there is anything else that holds them back or stands in the way of purchasing product/service.
- Don’t try to sell on the first call. Stay focused on building friendly and trustful relationship, create open-free atmosphere and suggest a day and time for a meeting in person and discussion of the product/service in detail.
- Believe in the value of your product, and keep your goal in mind. If the prospect doesn’t feel conviction and passion during the call, then the call is worthless. Remember the more confident you are, the easier you will overcome objections.
Common objections and how to handle them
- «Send me some information.» This is one of the most common objections. If you just say “yes” and send the information requested, your letter may land in the prospect’s recycle bin and you will lose the only chance to make a sale. Instead, try saying «I certainly will, but for me to know exactly what to include in the letter, can you answer me a couple of quick questions.» Then, proceed with the qualifying questions.
- «We already work with X.» Before answering this question, you should study the market and learn about your competitors. Do research and find out what the main benefits of your product or service are and how it differs from others. Respond «Let me share with you a quick comparison of our solution and X for showing how we differ and what our main advantages and benefits are.» You need to state why you solution is better in such a way that a prospect feels the need to revise their initial response.
- «Call me later.» Prospects are busy. Therefore, point out that you are going to be brief and create a sense of urgency. Make an offer that indicates a special benefit and requires immediate purchase. Whether it is a discount, attached deadline or something for free, it will create the sense of urgency and can help dispel doubts.
- «We don’t have budget for this.» or «You solution is too expensive for our business.» In this case, prospect probably doesn't understand the full value of your product/service for their business. Thus, you need to point out how it can improve their efficiency and effectiveness, save money and boost profit. Besides, demonstrate them how the cost of your solution is outweighed by cost savings or revenue earning. So, the anticipated response will be «Let me demonstrate you how the value of our solution outweighs its cost.»
Nevertheless, in some cases, “no” means “no.” No matter how much you push, you will not be able to sell to some categories of clients. Use this opportunity to learn why it happens and how to handle it. Taking into consideration these points, start overcoming objections by creating your objection list. So, next time when you face objection, you will know how to respond promptly and turn denials into positive opportunities.